2019 Hip Sip: Battle of the Modern Bartender Competition
TUESDAY, AUGUST 27, 2019, 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM, CENTER STAGE
Who will get the worm? Are you smoky or are you smooth? Hip Sip’s Battle of the Modern Bartender returns with a twist featuring a Tequila and Mezcal Showdown! The Western Foodservice & Hospitality Expo and the Mixology Master Method are looking for the best bartender in the region who has the best cocktail Tequila or Mezcal cocktail. Is it YOU?
Bartenders will be judged on creativity, use of product, taste, presentation, and flair. Chosen finalists will battle in this fun and exciting competition on Center Stage for the chance to win $1,000, bragging rights, a Q&A with photo in the September 2019 issue of Bar Business Magazine, and a commemorative, glass plaque of the featured article.
Don’t hesitate and get ready to shake it up and showcase your best Twist on the Tequila Sunrise, Margarita, Old Fashioned, La Paloma, or showcase your creative skills with your unique Smoky, Spicy, and Savory cocktail. This is your chance to win!
- Open to any bartender currently working in the bar, restaurant, or spirits industry (US & International).
- Submissions open on Tuesday, June 11, 2019 and close on Friday, July 19, 2019. They must be sent to Patricia Copela at email@example.com
- If chosen as a finalist you must be available to compete on the Western Food Expo Center Stage on Tuesday, August 27, 2019, from 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM.
- Announcement of finalists will be made on Wednesday, July 24, 2019 and will be promoted online for the 6 weeks leading up to the show and then promoted at the show.
- Recipe submissions must be expressed in ounces, drops, or dashes and scaled for a single serving.
- A video submission, no longer than 1-2 minutes - this is your chance to show your personality and/or flair - can be as simple as having been shot with your smart phone. A photo of the cocktail and recipe are required. Your headshot, full name, title and bar/restaurant affiliation, as well as your bio, should be included. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
- Cocktails will be judged on creativity, use of product, taste, and presentation.
- The base spirit must come from one of the spirit sponsors (COMING SOON - PLEASE CHECK BACK). The base spirit will be provided for use at the competition. Garnishes and other ingredients are the responsibility of the competitor.
- There is no cap on how many ingredients per recipe.
- Homemade ingredients are welcome.
- Ingredients should be available year-round (nothing too seasonal).
- Finalists are responsible for travel to the show and, except for the base spirit, which will be provided, for the cost of their ingredients.
The winning bartender and recipe will be featured on the Western Expo Show's website, newsletter, and social media channels, and in Bar Business Magazine.
The $1,000 cash prize is provided by the Western Foodservice & Hospitality Show.
Tequila Brand TBA Soon!
Mezcal Brand TBA Soon!
Drink Arte juices are 100% fresh squeezed citrus juices with no additives or preservatives. They are designed for bartenders who take pride in creating amazing cocktails. No more labour, no more juice mess. Choices include: Lemon, Lime, and Orange. Should competing bartenders wish to use this product as part of their recipe this will be supplied at the competition. Please reference in your drink submission if you will be using.
SUBMIT YOUR COCKTAIL RECIPE AND VIDEO
*Competitors must supply all cocktail ingredients - excluding the spirit base - used in the competition.
Please make sure to bring enough product to make your submission cocktail on stage, plus cocktails for each of the 3 judges.
It is not required but you are welcome to provide samples for the audience. Sample size cups will be provided if you wish to provide to the audience.
Please note that competitors are responsible for their own travel expenses to the show.*
Meet Your 2019 Hip Sip Emcees...
Martin Cole, "The British Bartender", The Mixology Method
Jeremy Lake, "Award-Winning Mixologist", The Mixology Method
Meet The Judges
Rob Floyd, RX Liquid Chef, Sip Boldly & Bar Rescue
Mia Mastroianni, Celebrity Mixologist,
Consultant as seen on Bar Rescue
To be announced soon!